Monday, September 8, 2008

where the music lives

i go to sleep at night, and in that twilight that comes between wakefulness and sleep often my brain starts singing to me.

i know, its weird, but i swear its true.

slowly, as my consciousness starts to wander, i inevitably come to the beginning of a dream, and the soundtrack begins. its always a song i've never heard, to a tune i've never even imagined, but i can hear it clearly, and if im aware enough i can sometimes even manipulate it.

and i realize somewhere in the back of my mind if i stopped beginning to sleep at that point, and grabbed a tape recorder or some similar device i might be able to transport this secret other-worldly soundtrack into the world i live in by day, but most usually i am so entranced by the landscape of dreams that thus far i have never retreated with the composition.

but the fact remains: there is music inside me. i told esther this years ago and she bugged me for months to pursue that fact in some tangible way. so far, i never have, and for better or worse thats the reality.

though, the true lesson i glean from these symphonic experiences ends up being one of curiosity. if i, a lowly nursing student and massage therapist, have music beating a path around the inside of my brain, what other extraordinary creations grace the soft squishy parts of my friends and cohorts?

are we all really creative genius waiting for the right force or motivation to press a unique perspective out of us and into the world in which we reside?

who else dreams in soundtrack? who dreams in something infinitely deeper?

i may never know, but i get caught up in the hope of that possibility.

perhaps that is the gift we casually label humanity.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have a memory of a scuba dive, in which I witnessed a beauty indescribable. It still leaves me feeling an unearthly sort of awe. The circumstances surrounding the time in which the dive was experienced, along with the details of the dive, suggest that it was most likely a dream.

Nonetheless, I've exerted considerable mental exercise in an attempt to recall the exact time and location, in an effort to revisit the place. I recently decided not to try anymore. I'll likely never really know whether or not it was a dream, but I'm confident that either way, revisiting the experience outside of the dream world would likely cheapen the experience.

There are dreams that deserve to become tangible- that grow and blossom in the light of day. Others yet are cheapened by reality, or simply dissipate like fog after the sunrise. Perhaps deciding the fate of our dreams is as central to the human experience as the gift you describe?

Tacy said...

that sounds like a wonderful dive, whether it happened in the reality of the world or your own mind.

yes. yes yes. i do believe that some dreams deserve a place in reality and others are destined to continually light the nights.

my challenge has always been in separating the two.

Jessica Steed said...

Tacy,
Two things:
1. There was a great session about dream interpretation at Sunstone.
2. As a child I would fall asleep and dream of different kinds of clothing. Not stuff I had seen before, but like I was a clothing designer in my head. It was crazy, different outfits, skirts, pants, shirts, dresses, flipped through my head like a rolodex.
Anyway, I think your music is way cooler. You should find a way to remember it.

Tacy said...

jess-

i had no idea you had a fashion bug inside you.

ever draw anything out?

you do know i can sew right? lets get some of those designs out there.

you never know what might come of it